Established in year 2002.
The Objectives of The Uranium
- Promoting the quality of science education in secondary schools of Odisha in both Odia and English medium (ICSE and CBSE streams) schools since 2002. From 2016, higher (Senior) secondary (class and +2 Science) level will be taken in its fold.
- Motivating the students in the secondary (Junior and Senior) level to pursue basic science including engineering and medical courses in higher classes and join in IITs, IISER, NISER, and KVPY and take up a career in science, engineering and medical research.
- Haunting science talents of our state having gifted scientific acumen and brilliance by conducting state wide talent search examination (Uranium Talent Search Examination-UTSE) every year for secondary (Junior and Senior) school students.
- Instill competitiveness in science subjects among students of Odia and English medium schools for Juniors(VII, VIII, IX and X) and Chemistry among Senior Students; i.e class XI/XII (CBSE) and +2 Science (CHSE, Odisha).
- Conduct coaching classes after class VIII for the screened candidates periodically for IIT, IISER, NISER and KVPY and other entrance tests.
- Training and motivating the science teachers in secondary (Junior and Senior) level with advance methods and concepts of science with higher level thinking skills. For that the organization conducts orientation-cum-refresher courses for science teachers centrally at the Uranium Training Centre, Cuttack and also at various places of the state.
- Extending all possible support to talented students of our state coming from economically backward parents by way of offering free coaching and awarding scholarships for higher level study.
- UTSE for English medium schools of Odisha has been discontinued since 2019.
The Primary Focus of The Uranium
- To popularise Chemistry among science subjects in secondary level (Class VII, VIII, IX, X) although physics courses are included in all the programs.
- To popularise only Chemistry in higher (Senior) secondary level i.e. XI (CBSE) and +2 Science (CHSE, Odisha).
[NB: The Uranium functioned as a Society under Society Registration Act since 2002 and for better functioning of the activities it has been converted to a Public Trust under Indian Trust Act since May 2014 vide Registration number 621/40391402591/ dated 02.05.2014. Dr. Sudhansu Sekhar Tripathy, Formerly Senior Reader in Chemistry, Ravenshaw College, Cuttack is its Managing Trustee.]